Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gagnidze; anticipating HANSEL @ GSA

Gagnidze was good. He threw away "...tu sei la schiava" on Sprechgesang, but he's hardly the first Amonasro - the first *good* one, I mean - to do so.

So what am I doing now? I'm in the lobby of the University Theater at Old Dominion U., Norfolk, Va., waiting for HANSEL AND GRETEL in a production by the Governor's School for the Arts.

The Vocal Arts Dept of this high-school program has such depth of young talent, they're putting on three performances of HANSEL with three different casts. I make that 24 capable teenage voices. And that's just the Vocal Arts Dept: the Musical Theater Dept is separate.

I'm at the closing performance. I could have gone to them all, I suppose, but I still have law exams to grade, so I've chosen one Diva dei Tutte Dive at GSA - Malia Diaz - who's singing the Dew Fairy this afternoon. But I've also heard great things from AnyƩe Farrar, and I understand she kicked it as Gretel on opening night.

More later.

No comments :